10 Maria Montessori Quotes That Will Change the Way You Parent
Maria Montessori was a visionary who revolutionized the way children learned in a school setting and home setting, alike. Here are 10 Maria Montessori quotes that embody her philosophy.
- “We must help the child to act for himself, will for himself, think for himself; this is the art of those who aspire to serve the spirit.”
Sometimes we get caught up in shaping our children into who we would like them to be, rather than letting them develop who they are. Montessori is about letting children be and become.
2. “Our care of the child should be governed, not by the desire to make him learn things, but by the endeavor always to keep burning within him that light which is called intelligence.”
More important than what a child learns by a given age, is that children keep their natural curiosity and love of learning!
3. “The child who concentrates is immensely happy.”
Have you ever watched a child engrossed in an activity? It's magical!
We tend to think of a child's happiness as something that comes from external sources, but children aren't so unlike adults in that achievement, which happens through concentration, promotes happiness.
Practical Life activities are perfect for encouraging the deep concentration that brings children so much joy.
This is one of my favorite Maria Montessori quotes.
4. “Never help a child with a task at which he feels he can succeed.”
The cornerstone to Montessori is facilitating independence. When we dress children who are able to dress themselves, ect., we take away opportunities for them to perfect skills and we also deplete their self-confidence by reinforcing their dependence on us.
Not good. Let's give our little ones the gift of self-confidence.
5. “Teach by teaching, not correcting.”
Knowledge should be treated as a gift we share with our kids. Quizzing and correcting children can shake their self confidence and extinguish the enjoyment of learning.
6. “Discipline must come through liberty.”
Discipline and punishment are not one in the same, believe or not. Self discipline and joyful obedience should always be the goal in discipline.
7. “These words reveal the child's inner needs; ‘Help me do it alone'.”
Children crave independence! Aiding and encouraging a child's abilities isn't “making them grow up too fast”; it's allowing them to experience the joy of achievement as soon as they are able.
8. “Respect all forms of activity in which the child engages and try to understand them.”
Kids often do things that don't make sense to us. It doesn't mean that these actions are not vital to their development, though.
Paying attention to a child's play schemas and sensitive periods are so important.
9. The land is where our roots are. The children must be taught to feel and live in harmony with the earth.”
Cosmic education is one of the most overlooked aspect when parents and caregivers implement Montessori into their homes. Respect of the earth and all of its inhabitants, though, is a lifelong gift for your child and the world!
10. “It is the child who makes the man, and no man exists who was not made by the child he once was.”
Here it is. Of all the Maria Montessori quotes, this is the one that drives the gentle, respectful methods of Montessori parents everywhere.
If you are interested in learning more about Maria Montessori and her methods, check out these articles!
Cheers and don't forget to subscribe!
Thursday 15th of October 2020
These are great quotes. I love quotes and education, so educational quotes are awesome! Wouldn’t it have been amazing to have the chance to talk with her?